Skip to main content
OPEN CALL Teatr Powszechny | Warsaw, Poland
Teatr Powszechny is a repertoire city theatre established nearly seventy years ago. Since 2016 the slogan “Theatre that gets in a way” has defined its programme and mission as a public cultural institution. We promote diversity, social involvement and civic commitment that enables discussions around controversial issues. Besides producing theatre performances by renown directors and young emerging artists from Poland and abroad, we organize and lead numerous cultural and educational activities, collaborate with experts and artists from various disciplines, cultural and academic institutions as well as informal social groups.
In Poland faith is almost exclusively associated with Catholicism and in recent years has been monopolised by the institution of the Catholic Church and conservative movements. "Pole-Catholic" is a historical term currently used in a public discourse mainly by nationalists and representatives of the Catholic Church as the only definition of Polishness. This inevitably excludes all those who for various reasons do not fit into it. Community and identity are being built on division and exclusion. This can be also applied to other countries. What could be our response?
We encourage applicants to consider social context, areas of conflict and politics in their performance proposals. We are particularly interested in projects investigating Polish issues while taking into account the global context.
We are looking forward to receiving proposals which include one or more of the following topics:
- Global conservatism and re-emerging fundamentalism, and their local repercussions
- The New Dark Age and contemporary crusades versus alternative ways of building identity and social bonds
- Resistance strategies against authoritarian and patriarchal oppression inherent in the Church and religious institutions
- Killing in the name of faith: from hate speech, harassment, intimidation of opponents to political power games, arm conflicts and wars
- Individual faith versus imposed nationalised religion
Teatr Powszechny offers the following:
- Support and facilities of repertoire theatre including technical staff, equipment, publicity etc.
- Rehearsal space and performing space (Small Stage)
- Production and stage management of the performances and international tours
- 3-4 actors from Teatr Powszechny’s ensemble
- Connection with local artists, activists, journalists, researchers and academic experts
* Performance could be staged in another location than our Small Stage
* Rehearsals up to 2 months within the period between September and December 2021
* Premiere: November or December 2021
Visit our website: http://www.powszechny.com/ For more information please contact Karolina Kapralska at email@example.com